Hertfordshire's proximity to the city of London has made it a popular destination for day-trippers and weekenders looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The county is also home to many historical sites and attractions, making it an ideal destination for history buffs and culture vultures alike.
Located in southeastern England, bordering the counties of Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, and Greater London, it is home to medieval villages, rolling countryside, and several interesting tourist attractions.
Here are some reasons why you should visit Hertfordshire:
1. The villages. There are a number of charming medieval villages in Hertfordshire, including Ashwell, Baldock, Berkhamsted, and Hitchin. These villages have historic churches, narrow streets, and thatched cottages.
2. The countryside. Hertfordshire is home to some of the most beautiful countryside in England. Hertfordshire is blessed with rolling hills, green fields, and picturesque woodlands. There are plenty of walks and cycle routes to enjoy, as well as picturesque villages and stunning forests. It's a great place for a country walk or bike ride.
3. St Albans Cathedral. This historic cathedral dates back to the 11th century and is one of the most important Gothic buildings in England.
4. The pubs. Hertfordshire is home to some of the best country pubs in England. These pubs serve excellent food and drink, and often have live music and dancing.
5. The shopping. There are many good shopping towns in Hertfordshire, including St Albans, Watford, and Stevenage. You'll find everything from high-end boutiques to bargain-priced outlets.
6. The history. Hertfordshire is home to some of the oldest buildings in England, including Hatfield House and Knebworth House. There are also plenty of historical towns and villages to explore. The area has a long and interesting history. Roman remains can be found at Verulamium Park in St Albans, while the Tudor manor house of Hatfield House is also worth a visit.
7. The festivals. Hertfordshire is home to a number of popular festivals, including the Hertfordshire Food and Drink Festival, the St Albans Film Festival, and the Hatfield House Music Festival.
8. The culture. There is a lot of culture to be found in Hertfordshire, with many theatres, art galleries, and museums.
9. The convenience. Hertfordshire is located just outside London, which makes it the perfect location for those who want to enjoy the best of both city and country life.
10. The people. The people of Hertfordshire are friendly and welcoming. You're almost guaranteed to receive a warm welcome wherever you go!
Other top sights in Hertfordshire include the Warner Bros. Studio Tour in Watford and the Paradise Wildlife Park in Broxbourne amongst others.
Hertfordshire is an ideal destination for a short break or a longer holiday. With so much to see and do, you're sure to find something to suit everyone. So why not pay a visit to Hertfordshire and see what all the fuss is about? You won't be disappointed!